Welcome to my Knitting Blog!

Even though I have been knitting for over a decade, lately I have had the itch to be creative with my craft. I have recently experienced several knitting techniques I have never used before. I get a lot of enjoyment out of my knitting and often spend my lunch hour, immersed in a project.

This is mainly a forum for me to vent and discuss my ongoing "Knitting Adventures".

- ô¿ô Laura ô¿ô

Monday, November 23, 2009

My favorite Chemo Cap pattern.

I received Susan Thompson of Head Huggers.org permission to publish my modifications to a pattern on her site. I am publishing it here so that others may benefit from my experimentation.

There are a couple of major modifications to this pattern, first it is knit in the round which eliminates an uncomfortable seam. Second the original pattern decreased solely in purl diverting from the pattern. After much experimentation I have found this alternate decrease to stay more in pattern. I hope you enjoy making this hat as much as I do.

Inside Out Knit Chemo Cap In The Round
Designed by: Laura Gholston
http://www.headhuggers.org



I enjoy this pattern for Chemo Caps because it is relatively quick to knit and I find the simple pattern great for (almost mindless) knitting. As an ADD Knitter I like things that are quick and interesting. I hate seaming because it tends to get put off. I modified the original pattern (Knit pattern #20 from the website) because this eliminates the seaming issue as well as working a different decrease that blends in better with the pattern. I hope you will enjoy making these as much as I do! Special Thanks to Joyce Forker for creating the initial pattern.

Needles:
size 8 and 10 (6 and 8 works well too)
DPNs or Long Circular (for magic loop) required
Yarn:
Anything worsted, I recommend using the softest
that you can find.
Directions:
Cast on 80 stitches on the smaller needles (26, 27, 27 on DPNs)

Join for knitting in the round being careful not to twist stitches. To avoid laddering pull the first 2 stitches at the beginning of each round very tight
K1, P1 rib for 1 ¾ inches.

Change to larger needles.
ROW 1: Purl.
ROW 2: Knit 1, Purl 1 across.
Repeat rows 1 and 2 until cap measures 6” from beginning.

TOP SHAPING:
1st Row: *K2, K2 tog*. Repeat from * across.
Purl 2nd row and all even numbered rows.
3rd Row: *K1, K2 tog*. Repeat from * across
5th Row: Repeat 1st row.
7th Row: Repeat 3rd row.
9th Row: K2 tog across.
11th Row: K2 tog across.
12th Row: Purl across.
Cut yarn leaving 5" tail. Draw yarn through remaining stitches and pull tight.
Weave tail in on wrong side of cap.
No Seam!

6 comments:

Elayne said...

I have made these and do like your instructions. One question, What length did you use for your circulars and when do you switch to the dp's.

Laura said...

I am sorry it took me so long to see your post... I am currently using a 40" cable to knit the hat magic loop. I often do not switch to dpn's I complete the hat magic loop style but it is really just up to your personal preference. :) I hope this helps and I apologize for not seeing this sooner. I will have to check my settings so I am notified of comments.
Thanks.
Laura

Elayne said...

Thank you for answering, the problem is I don't know how to do the magic loop.

Laura said...

There is no reason you couldn't knit the entire thing using dpn's if that was your preference.

Here is a link to Knitting Help's video on Magic Loop Knitting it is on their advanced knitting techniques page.

http://www.knittinghelp.com/apps/flash/video_player/play/14/1

Here is a photo tutorial from KnitPicks.com whose pictures might be a little clearer.

http://www.knitpicks.com/tutorials/Magic_Loop__D119.html

I hope that helps you. :)
Laura

Ellen Popejoy said...

How much yarn?

Ellen Popejoy said...

Just looking at pattern again thinking I may try it. But, I’m surprised there hasn’t been more comments. Because you talk about using circular needles and No seam! Then, throughout pattern it’s rows. Does not make sense. And usually there’s a gauge given. I use 2 circular needles for all my hats which I donate.